Friday, August 2, 2013

Crayons & Hippos and a pattern review


One of my mom's employees is having a baby, and she asked me to make a baby blanket to give to her. I had, just that day, stumbled across this pattern on pinterest, and I knew I *had* to make it for the new baby.

As you can see, I chose pastel colors instead of traditional basic crayon colors (although I have an order for another crayon blanket, which I very well may make in standard crayon colors...stay tuned for pics in September or October). I love the way this one came out. The crayons were simple to make, and I sewed them attachment style with 2 rows of sc around each piece. After it was finished I added another row of sc all the way around (doubling back on the bottom for a total of 3 sc rows along that edge). Otherwise, I used the pattern as written. No modifications.
US Instructions
Row 1: In red, ch 27, hdc in 3rd ch from hook, hdc in next 24 ch, turn. (25 sts)
Rows 2-8: Ch 2, hdc in each hdc, turn.
Change to Black.
Rows 9/10: Ch 2, hdc in each hdc, turn.
Change to Red.
Rows 11/12: Ch 2, hdc in each hdc, turn.
Change to Black.
Rows 13/14: Ch 2, hdc in each hdc, turn.
Change to Red.
Rows 15-30: Ch 2, hdc in each hdc, turn.
Row 31: Ch 2, hdc in next 9 hdc, hdc2tog, change to black, drop red, 2 hdc in next hdc, hdc in next hdc, 2 hdc in next hdc, change to red, drop black, hdc2tog, hdc in next 9 hdc, turn.
Row 32: Ch 2, hdc in next 8 hdc, hdc2tog, change to black, drop red, 2 hdc in next hdc, hdc in next 3 hdc, 2 hdc in next hdc, change to red, drop black, hdc2tog, hdc in next 8 hdc, turn.
Rows 33-58: Ch 2, hdc in next 9 hdc, change to black, drop red, hdc in next 7 hdc, change to red, drop black, hdc in next 9 hdc, turn.
Row 59: Ch 2, hdc in next 8 hdc, 2 hdc in next hdc, change to black, drop red, hdc2tog, hdc in next 3 hdc, hdc2tog, change to red, drop black, 2 hdc in next hdc, hdc in next 8 hdc, turn.
Row 60: Ch 2, hdc in next 9 hdc, 2 hdc in next hdc, change to black, drop red, hdc2tog, hdc in next hdc, hdc2tog, change to red, drop black, 2 hdc in next hdc, hdc in next 9 hdc, turn.
Rows 61-70: Ch 2, hdc in each hdc, turn.
Change to Black.
Rows 71/72: Ch 2, hdc in each hdc, turn.
Change to Red.
Rows 73/74: Ch 2, hdc in each hdc, turn.
Change to Black.
Rows 75/76: Ch 2, hdc in each hdc, turn.
Change to Red.
Rows 77-80: Ch 2, hdc in each hdc, turn.
Row 81: Ch 1, hdc2tog, hdc in next 21 hdc, hdc2tog, turn. (23 sts)
Row 82: Ch 2, hdc in each hdc, turn.
Row 83: Ch 1, hdc2tog, hdc in next 19 hdc, hdc2tog, turn. (21 sts)
Row 84: Ch 2, hdc in each hdc, turn.
Row 85: Ch 1, hdc2tog, hdc in next 17 hdc, hdc2tog, turn. (19 sts)
Row 86: Ch 2, hdc in each hdc, turn.
Row 87: Ch 1, hdc2tog, hdc in next 15 hdc, hdc2tog, turn. (17 sts)
Row 88: Ch 2, hdc in each hdc, turn.
Row 89: Ch 1, hdc2tog, hdc in next 13 hdc, hdc2tog, turn. (15 sts)
Row 90: Ch 2, hdc in each hdc, turn.
Row 91: Ch 1, hdc2tog, hdc in next 11 hdc, hdc2tog, turn. (13 sts)
Row 92: Ch 2, hdc in each hdc, turn.
Row 93: Ch 1, hdc2tog, hdc in next 9 hdc, hdc2tog, fasten off and sew in ends. (11 sts)
Work 2 Rows of sc in black evenly around the edge.
Make 5 more “crayons” in different colours and sew them together.

I had a little bit of yarn left over from the blanket, and I decided to make somethign else with the scraps. Sorry about the crop on his nose. But this is Happypotamus (as the pattern calls him). I actually purchased this pattern  from ravelry. It was only $6.50, and worth EVERY penny!! The instructions are marvelous, with pictures for every step. Not one thing about it is confusing. I highly recommend that if you're interested you purchase this one. I will say, though, that Mr. Happy came out HUGE! I was expecting maybe a 1 foot hippo. Using a "g" hook, this guy in the photo came out to a whopping 25" long, or just over 2 feet! I think he's a little big for a baby, lol. But hopefully mom likes him any way.

All in all, though, I couldn't be happier. The hippo came out great and matches the blanket very well. I think it is a successful gift :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment