Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Another hat!

I know a month or so ago I promised to to show a project that combined the flower and the button...buuuuut I got distracted and forgot.

So, here is a simple project that I did that combined the flower accents and crochet buttons in a way that looks adorable!

I used this pattern for a slouchy hat in a simple black worsted yarn and made some minor adjustments to it. (my changes in a different color).

**

1. Ch 2. 10 DC in second ch from hook. Join with a sl st to the first dc.
I DC 10 in a magic circle. (If you're new to the magic circle/ring, the link to the left is a good video for explaining how to do it).
2. Ch 1. Work 2 dc in each stitch around. Join with a sl st to the first dc.(20 dc)

3. Ch 1. Work 2 dc in the first stitch. Work 1 dc in the next stitch. *Work 2 dc in the next stitch. Work 1 dc in the next stitch.* Repeat from * to * around. Join with a sl st to the first dc. (30)

4. Ch 1. Work 2 dc in the first stitch. Work 1 dc in each of the next 2 stitches. *Work 2 dc in the next stitch. Work 1 dc in each of the next 2 stitches.* Repeat from * to * around. Join with a sl st to the first dc. (40)

5. Ch 1. Work 2 dc in the first stitch. Work 1 dc in each of the next 3 stitches. *Work 2 dc in the next stitch. Work 1 dc in each of the next 3 stitches.* Repeat from * to * around. Join with a sl st to the first dc. (50)

6. Ch 1. Work 2 dc in the first stitch. Work 1 dc in each of the next 4 stitches. *Work 2 dc in the next stitch. Work 1 dc in each of the next 4 stitches.* Repeat from * to * around. Join with a sl st to the first dc. (60)

7. Ch 1. Work 2 dc in the first stitch. Work 1 dc in each of the next 5 stitches. *Work 2 dc in the next stitch. Work 1 dc in each of the next 5 stitches.* Repeat from * to * around. Join with a sl st to the first dc. (70)

8. Ch 1. Work 2 dc in the first stitch. Work 1 dc in each of the next 6 stitches. *Work 2 dc in the next stitch. Work 1 dc in each of the next 6 stitches.* Repeat from * to * around. Join with a sl st to the first dc. (80)

9. Ch 1. Work 1 dc in the first stitch and in each stitch around. Join with a sl st to the first dc. (80 dc)

10. Ch 1. Work 1 dc in the first stitch and in each stitch around. Join with a sl st to the first dc. (80 dc)

**if you want your hat slouchier, repeat Row 10 for each 1/2 inch in length you want it...then continue to Row 11**
I usually add two more rows here, meaning I have worked 12 rows before moving on to the next row.

11. Ch 1. *Work 1 dc in each of the next 6 stitches. DC2tog the next 2 stitches.* Repeat from * to * around. Join with a sl st to the first dc. (70)

12. Ch 1. *Work 1 dc in each of the next 5 stitches. DC2tog the next 2 stitches.* Repeat from * to * around. Join with a sl st to the first dc. (60)

13. Ch 1. *Work 1 dc in each of the next 8 stitches. DC2tog the next 2 stitches.* Repeat from * to * around. Join with a sl st to the first dc. (54)

14. Ch 1. Work 1 sc in each stitch around. (54 sc)

15. Ch 1. Work 1 sc in each stitch around. (54 sc)

16. Ch 1. Work 1 sc in each stitch around. (54 sc)

I have also found that a 3 row band makes the edge unstable, so I work 2 additional rounds of single crochets here, bringing the total to 5 rows of SC.

**

After making the hat, I crochet a button (see pattern above) in the same color as the hat, leaving a long tail onthe button for sewing later. I then crochet an accent flower in whatever color I choose (I actually have a whole box of these now to go with different outfits). I use the tail on the button to sew it to the band of the hat. Then, using the hole in the middle of the flower, I push the button through the flower, essentially buttoning the flower to the hat.

This means that whenever I feel like it, I can switch the flowers out because they're just bottoned on, not sewn on. I can also take the flower off, flip the hat inside out, and have just a plain black hat to wear.

Honestly, I LOVE this hat! I wear it all the time now (almost every day), and get a lot of requests to make them for other people.


So, as you can see, slouchy hat with white accent flower attached with crochet button!

No comments:

Post a Comment