Tuesday, January 15, 2013

So I've been busy...

I know it has been a while since my last post, but I've been busy getting some crafts together. The first was a project I was really excited about. I saw this post on pinterest (yeah yeah I know) that goes to this blog.

This led me to create this simple pattern.

I loved this woman's idea for a blanket of puzzle pieces, although I thought her execution was a little loose for my style of blanket. I like tightly stitched blankets that are thick. My mom also crochets like the blogger, nice and loose. I don't think there is anything wrong with it, it just isn't my style.

Here is my interpretation of her puzzle blanket:




All in all it was pretty easy to put together. It is just a different twist on a simple granny square. 
I made each granny square attachment style to the previous one to make each puzzle piece. Then I outlined each compelted piece with a single crochet in black, then sewed all the puzzle pieces together and added a simple black border with a scalloped edge.

These are pictures of the blanket in various states of done-ness. This gives you a better idea of how the granny squares go together, and shows the outlining of each piece before it was attached.


It is a gift for my sister, and she will be getting it this weekend when she comes in town. Lil Sis said she wanted the blanket in primary colors. I didn't think it would come out nice in those colors...but obviously I was wrong. I love the way it came out.

I have to admit, I used the cheapie yarn (Red Heart Super Saver) because it was on sale. lol. I took some pinterest advice and washed the thing in fabric softener when I was finished with the whole blanket. I tried washing it with the just the FS, but it didn't really work. So, I washed it again with FS and a little bit of liquid detergent. After a short wash, I put it in the dryer on delicate or low heat for about an hour. It is one of the softest blankets I have ever touched. It is just as soft as blankets I have made with expensive yarns. I'm extremely happy that a little bottle of FS could save me so much money and make this project sooooooo soft.





In other news, a friend and I have opened our own Etsy shop (again, yeah yeah I know). You can see (or purchase) crafts we/I have been working on. The link should be (shortly) posted on the side bar of the main page of my blog, so feel free to check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment