Tuesday, June 17, 2014

The ongoing remodel Part III - The floors!

We have floors!!!!

I've been happy dancing for the last two weeks.

There are still mornings I wake up and walk out into the living room and can't believe I'm not stepping on bare concrete anymore. I still want to grab my flip flops when I leave the bedroom to protect my feet. I still dread the soles of my feet getting covered in a fine white powder every time I sneak out.

Basically, I'm still getting used to my gorgeous new floors!

So, to be honest, this was my first laminate floor install. I was a little nervous, but mostly excited. And I also had NO idea what to expect. Again, my dad had done the whole laminate install thing more times than he could count, so he readily volunteered to come over and help/teach us what to do. (whew!)

Mostly, he and my husband did the actual installing. Which consisted of snapping the boards together, measuring how short to cut the one on the end, cutting it and then going back to the snapping part.

My job was to lay down the black sheeting/barrier stuff (basically big black trash bags with a line of sticky glue to hold them together) and make sure the boxes of flooring were easy to get to (moving them from the back room into the actual living room as needed).

I didn't take detailed pics of the process because it is pretty self explanatory.



This was the only "in progress" photo I took. I snapped it while the boys were outside cutting a board and I was supposed to be laying out the next row of plastic barrier.


And here is the final product. I'm absolutely in love with the way the dark wood, the bookshelf and the grey walls come together. It is everything I hoped it would be!


Even though we're not done with the room, we decided to go ahead and move in our furniture. We still have to add the trim and crown molding (I plan to post updates as we do the installs) but overall the room is much more done. Really, it feels like a room now instead of a blast zone in the heart of my home.

Home.

That is definitely how it is starting to feel. :)

Look for updates as we move forward with the room. 
Things left to do:
Buy, paint and install trim
Buy, paint and install crown molding
Paint interior doors white/buy new white doors (Mike swears they are super cheap...we'll see)
Paint door frames white
Build inset shelf (this will be a cool project when we finally get around to it!)
Paint exterior door to sunroom white
Replace ceiling fan with one that has a light
Buy/Build entertainment center
Finally put up all of my art/decor pieces I've been collecting!
Finish installing the surround sound (we inherited it when we bought the house. The little packets hanging down over the couch are the wires that are still bundled up from when the drywall guy came).

I'm pretty sure that is an incomplete list.....and it's only the list for one room! I'm starting to realize why a homeowner's work is never finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment