Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Crochet Frog Outfit - updated

*~* Final Update *~* The outfit is complete. You can find patterns for the different elements below. This is how everything looks put togther...on my Sonic cup, lol.




I'm going to piece this one together as I make each element, so if there is only one pattern on this page, keep checking back :)

My mom's friend just had a little baby boy this week. Mom purchased a giraffe hat and diaper cover set from me and gave them to her friend, who thought they were adorable. The friend asked if I could make her a frog set, too. Well, I've never done a frog set, nor did I have a pattern, so I've been looking around for different ideas. I knew that for a frog I also wanted to do little frog slipper/booties if I could find them. I couldn't. However, I did piece together a couple of different patterns (like this one and this one) to make one that worked...



Frog Bootie Slipper-Flippers (make 2)

Hook - G / 4.25 mm

ch 10. SC in 2nd ch from hook and in next 7 ch. 5 SC in next ch to make turn. Working on backside of ch, SC 8. sl st to join

RND 2: ch 2. HDC in same st, 2 HDC in next st, HDC in next 6 sts. [2 HDC ch 1 2 HDC] all in next st. and in the following 2 sts (in other words, 2 HDC CH 1 2 HDC in each of next 3 sts). HDC around. sl st to join.

RND 3: SC around. When you get to the points (2 HDC, CH, 2 HDC) from the previous rnd: sc in each of 2 HDC. in ch sp, [2 HDC ch 1 2 HDC] skip to next ch sp and [2 HDC ch 1 2 HDC] skip to next ch sp and [2 HDC ch 1 2 HDC]. SC rest of way around. sl st to join.

RND 4: In back loops only, sc around. When you get to the points, work on top/backs of sts from RND 2 to cut across and leave points exposed. continue to SC around in back loops only. sl st to join.


just to give you an idea of where to cut across

RND 5: SC about 7 (until you get to the part where you cut across the foot). SC DEC, SC, SC DEC, SC, SC DEC, then SC around. sl st to join.


RND 6: SC about 6 (until you get the the part where you started dec above). SC DEC, SC, SC DEC, SC, SC DEC then SC around. sl st to join.

RND 7: SC about 5 (until you get the the part where you started dec above). SC DEC across (about 3) and then SC around. sl st to join.


RND 8: SC about 4 (until you get the the part where you started dec above). SC DEC across (2-3) and then SC around. sl st to join. You should have a pretty circular ankle hole now. If not, repeat this row.

RND 9-11. HDC around, sl st to join. After last rnd, fasten off.

FINISHING: I added one more row to the flippers.
starting where the flipper meets the sole:
SC 2. In Ch sp: 2 HDC,  make picot (ch 3 and sl st in 1st ch made [3rd from hook]) then 2 HDC. SC over to next CH sp (should be 3 SC). In Ch sp: 2 HDC,  make picot, 2 HDC. SC over to next CH sp. In Ch sp: 2 HDC,  make picot, 2 HDC. 3 SC to where flipper meets sole, sl st to join and fasten off.

So you can see where the finishing meets


Frog Beanie


This one was very simple. I used this pattern from Micah Makes. I used the 0-3 months size. Even though the pattern called for using an I/5.5 mm hook, I found that my gauge was too small at the end, and had to redo the whole thing with a J/6.0mm hook.

I made the hat in the same olive-y green that I did the flippers, and added a mocha brown edging.

For the eyes:

with black: 8 HDC in a magic circle, sl st to join
Switch to white: 2 HDC in each black HDC around, sl st to join (16)
Switch to green: HDC in same st as joining, HDC in next st. [2 HDC in next st, HDC in next st] repeat [ ] around. Fasten off, leaving a long tail for sewing.
Sew to hat.

Couldn't be easier. :-D   (my favorite kind of pattern)






Diaper Cover





To finish the outfit, I made a diaper cover to match. Nothing cute or frog-related here. Just a diaper cover to match the outfit.

I used this pattern with a few small changes, which I will note in red.

0-3 month size.
H crochet hook Worsted weight yarn So I made it twice. The first time I made it with the recommended H hook, but the waist of the cover was very small. After referencing a sizing chart, I decided to start over with a J / 6.00mm hook. This made the waist about 18" in the end, which lines up with the sizing chart.

Chain 45
1. sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each st across
2. ch 2 and turn. dc in each st across I made buttonholes in this row. I started by Ch 2, turn. DC, ch 1 and skip next sp, DC, ch 1 and skip next sp, DC, ch 1 and skip next sp. DC 31 across, one in each st. ch 1 and skip next sp, DC, ch 1 and skip next sp, DC, ch 1 and skip next sp. DC.
3. Ch 2 and turn, sc in each st across, 2 SC in each ch sp from previous row.
4. ch 2 and turn. slst in the next 10 sts. slst, ch 2 and dc in the next st. Dc in the next 23 sts. Leave remaining sts unworked.
5. ch 2 and turn. dc in each st across
6. ch 2 and turn DC2TOG, dc in the next 22 sts, dc2tog
7. ch 2 and turn. dc2tog, dc in the next 20. dc2tog
8. ch 2 and turn. dc2tog, dc in the next 16 sts. dc2tog
9. ch 2 and turn. dc2tog, dc in the next 16 sts, dc2tog
10. ch 2 and turn. dc2tog, dc in the next 14 sts, dc2tog
11. ch 2 and turn. dc2tog, dc in the next 12 sts dc2tog.
12 - 19 ch 2 and turn. dc in each st across. DO NOT fasten off. Here I switched to brown and did the edging/finish in brown to match the cap.
finish: ch 1. sc all the way around your work. Make sure to use 2 sc on the corners. I do 3 SC in each corner Fasten off and weave in ends.
Attach button to the center of the front flap. You can use any button you'd like, just be sure the button will fit through the row of DC on the side tabs. I used a crocheted button.


This diaper cover was very easy to make. It took me less than 20 minutes, including the edging and making and sewing on the button.



I also decided this morning that the flippers needed something to match the rest of the outfit, so I added a row of SC in brown to give it the brown edged look everything else has.


Sorry about the quality of the pictures. My camera wasn't really cooperating this morning. :-)



And that's it. I'm finished with the project. All said and done, I used yarn I had lying around the house, and didn't spend anything on it, which to me is a special kind of win.

3 comments:

  1. These are precious! I will have to try it in green.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm sure it would look super in a traditional bright green.

      Delete
  2. great issues altogether, you simply gained a new reader. What could you recommend about your post that you made some days in the past? Any positive? Fashionsty

    ReplyDelete