Friday, March 15, 2013

Newsboy cap

One of my good friends recently requested I make a hat for her kiddo. She wasn't really sure what she wanted, so I set up a pin board for her with a few ideas, and she picked the one she liked. Well, I also really liked it, so of course I had to test it out for myself first ;-)

The original pattern calls for a K / 6.5mm hook, but I have a giant head, and have learned that I need to use a bigger hook to make hats fit me...so I used an L / 8mm hook and it came out near perfect.

Here is the original pattern with my minor changes marked:




Bobbi Hat: Adult Pattern (this is just the pattern for the actual hat, I will talk about the detailed finishing towards the end of the post)
Modified from Everyday Handmade

Round 1: Chain 3 (counts as stitch here and through out), 9 Double Crochet, Slip Stitch to second chain (top chain) of your first stitch on this round to join. Pull Loop Tight, do not turn (10 stitches) I did a Ch 3 and 9 DC in a magic circle.
Round 2: Chain 3, DC in same stitch, *2 DC in each stitch around * Repeat, SS to join round (20 stitches)
Round 3: Chain 3, *2 DC in stitch, 1 DC in stitch * Repeat, SS (30 stitches)
Round 4: Chain 3, DC next stitch, *2 DC in next stitch, 1 DC in next 2 stitches * Repeat, SS (40 stitches)
Round 5: Chain 3, DC next 2 stitches, *2 DC in next stitch, 1 DC in next 3 stitches * Repeat, SS (50 stitches)
Round 6-10: Chain 3, DC in each stitch, SS to join round, Fasten Off I did not fasten off. I simply sl st around the 14 sts for the brim. I hate stopping and starting like that when there is no real reason to.

Brim: Count 14 stitches to the left from where you joined the rounds

Row 1: 2 Single Crochet in this stitch, SC in each of the next 18 stitches, 2 SC in next stitch, chain 1 and turn (chain 1, counts as stitch here and through out) (22 stitches)
Row 2-4:1 SC in each stitch across, chain 1 turn (22 stitches)
Row 5: SC next 2 stitches together, SC next 16 stitches, SC next two stitches together, SC, chain 1, turn (20 stitches)
Row 6:SC next 2 stitches together, SC next 13 stitches, SC next two stitches together, SC, chain 1, turn (18 stitches)
Row 7: SC next 2 stitches together, SC next 11 stitches, SC next two stitches together, SC, fasten off(16 stitches) I had a problem here because with the L hook, the brim came out HUGE! (as in it looked like a baseball cap) So I modified the brim pattern to this:
Row 1: SC in this st and in each of next 18 sts. ch 1 and turn
Row 2: SC in each st across. ch 1 and turn
Row 3: sc2tog, sc in next 16 (or so) sts, and sc last 2tog. ch 1 and turn.
Row 4: sc2tog, sc across and sc last 2tog. ch 1.
Finishing: SC in each st around, working 3 sc in each corner. Fasten off.
Another thing I like about this pattern, is that there was a child's size modification included on her site. My older sister saw the hat on my pin board and wanted one, too. She has a normal sized head, so I thought about using the adult pattern with the recommended K hook. But, I really liked how the big sts came out on my hat, so I decided to try using the child's pattern with the L hook. It fits her like I measured her dang head!
Bobbi Hat: Child's Pattern
(for an adult with a normal sized head, use L/8mm hook. For a child's head I used an H/5mm hook)
Round 1: Chain 3 (counts as stitch here and throughout), 9 Double Crochet, Slip Stitch to second chain (top chain) of your first stitch on this round to join. Pull Loop Tight, do not turn (10 stitches)
Round 2: Chain 3, DC in same stitch, *2 DC in each stitch around * Repeat, SS to join round (20 stitches)
Round 3: Chain 3, *2 DC in stitch, 1 DC in stitch * Repeat, SS (30 stitches)
Round 4: Chain 3, DC next stitch, *2 DC in next stitch, 1 DC in next 2 stitches * Repeat, SS (40 stitches)
Round 5: Chain 3, DC next 2 stitches, *2 DC in next stitch, 1 DC in next 8 stitches * Repeat, SS (50 stitches) Basically, you are doing the adult pattern, but only doing every other INC.
Round 6-10: Chain 3, DC in each stitch, SS to join round, Fasten Off

Brim: Count 14 stitches to the left from where you joined the rounds

(this is my modified brim pattern, again)
Row 1: 2 Single Crochet in this stitch, SC in each of the next 18 stitches, 2 SC in next stitch, chain 1 and turn (chain 1, counts as stitch here and throughout) (22 stitches)
Row 2:1 SC in each stitch across, chain 1 turn (22 stitches)
Row 3: SC next 2 stitches together, SC next 16 stitches, SC next two stitches together, SC, chain 1, turn (20 stitches)
Row 4:SC next 2 stitches together, SC next 13 stitches, SC next two stitches together, SC, chain 1, turn (18 stitches)

Finishing: SC around, working 3 SC in each corner.



On the picture above, you probably noticed that there was ribbon and flowers on it.

I learned after my test hat that the ribbon should meet at the edge of the brim, and the flower should be sewn on to cover the joining. I just wove my ribbon in, and when it got back to the meet point, I sewed it together with yarn and my large-eye needle. Nothing complicated, and no messy hot glue. Then I tied an extra piece of ribbon in a bow and sewed the flower down on top of it to hold in it place.
For the flowers, I just used the accent flower I put on almost everything, and simply changed colors for the 3rd row.

On two of the hats, I also added a leaf to the flower. I think it came out super cute. On one of the hats I sewed the leaf all the way down to the side of the hat. On the other, I only sewed down the base, and let the end stay loose, which made it curl in a little. I thought it was adorable.

*~*NOTE*~*
For the hats with the leaf, I attached the leaf after the ribbon band, but before the flower. It was easy to sew down before I added the flower because half of the leaf should be behind the flower.    :-)



Leaf Pattern
Found at Crochet with Raymond (which you can see in the background of the above pic, lol)
Hook used: G/4.25mm

Ch 10.  dc into 3rd chain from hook, htr into next ch, tr into next ch, htr into next ch, dc into next ch, hdc into next ch, sc into last 2 ch.  (You should have run out of chain here!)
Make picot by ch3, slst into 3rd ch from hook.
Now working along the opposite side of the leaf, sc into first 2ch, hdc into next 2ch, dc into next ch, htr into next ch, dc into the next ch, sc into last ch.
Fasten off and leave a long tail for sewing.

And here I am, showing off my new hat. As you can see, this is the test hat before I figured out that the flower needs to go further up towards the front of the hat. But I still think it looks adorable.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment