Monday, March 4, 2013

Weekend projects pt 1



As of March 2 (Saturday), my sweet potatoes are starting to sprout. You can see three little sprouts coming up out of this one. No roots yet, but I'll keep you posted.


I worked on a couple of projects this weekend. It was time to get my garden in the ground, and I needed a few projects to get that started.

First, I wanted to start my lavendar seedlings, and my puppies ate my seed starters from the fall. Instead of buying new seed starters, I decided to try making my own. I've seen on pinterest about a dozen ways to make seed starters. I've been saving my toilet paper and paper towel rolls to try one of those faux wrought iron art things, which led to me having an entire box of rolls. I decided it was time to use them, and this project was perfect.

So I started by cutting the tubes in half

And then rounded them back out (because I smushed them when I cut them)
Until I had an entire box of them

And put them in these "shoe storage" boxes that I found at the dollar store (for a dollar! lol)

And filled them with soil.

Then I just added my seeds, watered and put the lids on.


I labeled my lids so that I knew what I had planted in them. Now I had psuedo-greenhouses for my seed starters.

Cost of tubes: free
Cost of soil: I used about an eighth of a 2cu ft bag of soil for 4 boxes, so soil cost was about $.80
Cost of 4 boxes: $4
Cost of seeds: $4. I used 2 packets of $2 seeds.
              Total <$10.








No comments:

Post a Comment